Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Woman Behind the Camera - What I learned from my Photographic Odyssey




As some of you might recall (well some of you constant followers, whomever you are), I did a 365 photo project last year. One photo a day for an entire year. I knew it wasn't anything new. I knew going into it that there might be some hard days to get into snapping away. I'll be the first to admit that I missed a few days here and there. There were only a few that I can count on one hand, and only missed them because of a hectic life. I also still have about five rolls of 120 film from a few days of the project that I have yet to develop and post to my photo-stream online.

This year I decided to forego the project. I didn't want to feel like I was stressed about taking my daily photo. I'll definitely own up to the truth; some days I just didn't even want to pick up a camera. I was afraid that I would overdo it. I was afraid that I might not make it the full year again. I was afraid that I might get burnt out on taking photos. I was afraid I was forcing it.

Over the last few weeks I've learned something about myself and the 365 project. I learned something from it. I learned a lot about photography, how to use multiple cameras, lighting, lenses and film. I believe that I improved my amateur hobby. That wasn't the most important thing I took from this experience. I've compiled a list of the things that I feel truly grateful for getting out of it, and I'm writing them down so I don't forget.

I learned...,

... even if I don't force myself to pick up the camera every day, I now want to pick up a camera...

...I get angry with myself if I go anywhere without a camera by my side. The opportunity always seems to present a photo when I am ill equipped...

...I appreciate the little things in life more, and I'm more apt to take photos of the little things to remember that blissful, happy moment in time...

...I really got around this last year. I saw some old friends from childhood, got to go home(town) more than I thought, had a lot of adventures and see some amazing things...

...I am more in love than words can explain. Looking back at special moments I caught on film and managed to snap make me smile and I'm glad to know I will always have those moments to look back on...

...I have an unhealthy obsession with my cats and dog...

and, last but not least...

...I am by no means a professional photographer. I wouldn't even say that to save my life, but I did learn that I am an amateur. A lover of photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment