Friday, May 27, 2011

Get the word out....

I have many outlets via social networking that have been incredibly influential over the years. Regarding my last post on support for the Joplin, MO tornado victims, I have tweeted, tumblr-ed, flickr-ed, facebooked, blogged and pretty much nagged all of my friends to help spread the word. Now I'm putting it to the test.

In my efforts to support the individuals who desperately need help, I've discovered a few things. In the event of natural disasters, there are a lot of creeps out there. Looters, con artists and scammers are abundant in the news lately. People claiming to raise money for relief and disappearing, others taking personal information of others and selling it, some claiming to have found missing individuals and posting flee information and even people offering to help with the clean up and stealing what little some of the tornado victims have left. Hearing this literally breaks my heart and makes me want to help more.

First and foremost, I want to calm any fears immediately that I might be taking in any of the profits off my support poster sales and keeping them. I've personally opened an account in my Pay-Pal so that the money doesn't transfer to any of my personal accounts. I've also decided to completely document the donation presentation process along with providing a list of those who helped contribute.

I've pre-purchased the supplies to produce a total of 100 posters to be sold at $20 a piece, which would result in two $1,000 donations, a grand total of $2,000. As of three days into my journey to reach this goal, I've sold 15 posters, two of which are being sent internationally!

This is the part that I'm putting to the test. It has become my mission to sell at least all 100 posters. I can't do it alone. I need your help with putting the word out and asking everyone (yes everyone) to step up and help. I'm not asking all of you to purchase, because I know some are giving in so many other ways.

I am asking as a friend, an acquaintance, a complete stranger. If you don't do anything else, then help spread the word about this cause. Take a few minutes to tweet, facebook, tumblr, email or reblog about this cause. If thats all you do, then you are still making a difference. You're putting the word out. You will be a part of something. This could be big in a good way, and I'm asking you to help make it so.

I know there is good in people. I see it from time to time. Prove to the individuals who are hanging on to hope by a thread that there is so much good that we can mend that thread.






Share on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment